Sunday 2 November 2014

The Show is over.

I have to admit- I am exhausted. Last night I went to Gala on the Green - a dinner, dance and fireworks display  to commemorate 40 years at Houston . Yes- I ate way too much. Yes- I  danced some embarrassing 70s dance moves ( just got caught up in the moment) and yes - I gasped
at the fireworks and the ice sculpture.

Today I wandered around all the quilt displays. There was a huge variety on display. While I can truly appreciate and admire the fine handwork of the traditional quilts , my eye is often drawn to modern colour, composition and simplicity. I am not a huge fan of embellishment, and crystals seem quite popular here.  Here are just a few of my favourites , and they are not the award winners. This is Forest Storm by Cay Mackenzie.


The next quilt is Mere Color by Julie Scribner. The title comes from Oscar Wilde "Mere colour, unspoiled by meaning..... can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways."


Need a closer look ...


I love the way the quilting works here. 

All in all, I think that as  Australian Quilters we can be proud of our wonderfully vibrant , creative quilting,  and the way we are uniquely taking quilting  into the 21st Century. Take a bow ladies - we rock! 
Happy sewing, Miriam xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment