Saturday 14 March 2015

Sewing for the Soul

After an enormous week of bag making and  quilt binding, all working towards the Quilts in the Barn Margaret Sampson George exhibition, I was in desperate need of some sewing for the soul. You know- just sewing with no deadlines, no real direction but just making the most of some quiet time surrounded by favourite fabrics. I think there are ideas bubbling away in the back of my mind at all times just waiting for the opportunity to get some recognition and attention.

It started with a mini charm pack of 2 1/2 inch squares in the much anticipated Gardenvale fabric range by Jen Kingwell for Moda.



 I cut some coordinating plains and started playing.

First I pieced together 25 squares into a 5 x 5 grid square . With the restriction of only one mini charm pack I was able to make only 3 of these, alternating Gardenvale prints with coordinating plains.


I was fortunate to be given a lovely retro print with sewing motifs this week which was a perfect match for these blocks.
Deciding to set them on point I ended up with this patchwork top, large enough for a table runner.



Now I have to decide on a backing fabric, and binding. I have already decided to handquilt in diagonal rows using a pale pink Aurofil 12 thread. 

Sewing for the soul feels great! 

I must also show you a picture of bags made by one of my wonderfully talented  bag-workshop ladies. Robyn has made 2 fabulous bags. She has used a Kaffe cabbage print with great effect. 


Happy sewing, Miriamx 



No comments:

Post a Comment