Friday 1 May 2015

Marshmallow Softness

I have fallen  in love with the soft marshmallow colour way I have chosen to make Judy Newman's quilt - Vintage Comfort. This is a huge departure from the more saturated colours I usually choose for my quilting projects. I have surprised even myself! I like these fabrics so much that I had to make this heart with some of the scraps - hopefully it will turn into a cushion cover from Jen Kingwell's new book Quilt Lovely.


The process of making Vintage Comfort was all absorbing, from the fabric selecting


to the cutting of the pieces.



The more closely you work with these low volume fabrics- the more you see in terms of depth and hue. The end result is that your eyes float over the quilt, stopping here and there to pay attention to a subtle detail. The following photo is dreadful - sorry! I am just not tall enough, even standing on a chair to get a good shot of this quilt where it is laid out for pinning. I think I did a bit of a wobble when taking this.






 Now to decide whether to hand or machine quilt. If only there were 36 hours in every day!! I am thinking hand quilting, as the marshmallow softness of the quilt top would be matched by the softness of hand quilted stitches. What do you think?

Meanwhile, the talented ladies from my  bag making workshops continue to create fabulous bags.

Tess is working on her bag pieces



Rosalyn has made this beautiful bag





Sue is working on this stunning bag - here are the front and back sections .



I am looking forward to this Wednesday's class at The Cottage Quiltworks. There is another bag making class on Monday July 6th during the Quilt Escape Week at The Cottage Quiltworks in Warriewood.  The line up of teachers is outstanding - Marg Sampson-George, Judy Newman, Jen Kingwell, Chris Jurd, and like a Lilliputian among Giants - me! LOL ( and do a happy dance!)

Happy sewing, Miriamx








No comments:

Post a Comment