Thursday 14 January 2016

The Birth of a Star Quilt - Part Two

Welcome back to Sewmiriam. In this series I am sharing my take on the Wheel of Fortune Quilt by Kaffe Fassett. This  quilt features on the cover of his Caravan of Quilts book. This is Part 2 of the series. To find Part 1 click here.


In this blogpost, we continue my creation of the quilt by looking at the rows as they are added . Each row significantly changed the look of the quilt and dictated which direction to go for each row/round. I laid out  each row/round before stitching the  pieces together. There is a trick to piecing them together so come back for Part 3 next week.


Using the cheddar colour that appears in small amounts in the floral centre square pieces I placed squares of this colour ( the fabric I chose actually has a tiny dot in it too) alternating with a Tula Pink aqua /lime fabric. I loved the way this row makes the quilt colours pop.

The next row I chose was this initially ... 


I liked the movement that the Kaffe stripe provided, but then as more layers were added I thought that the stripe was too distracting and later replaced it with an irregular spot which I was happier with, so the quilt went from this 



to this



to this



to this


The red spot row really added a new dimension to the quilt and completed the circular pattern of the quilt . I put little birds in the four corners, taken from the Katy Jones fabric that was used for the central flowers. I repeated fabrics from the circular pattern on the rows of corner squares. This worked well to complete the quilt and provide  a frame for the circular pattern. 

 The final quilt when pieced measures approximately 62 inches by 62 inches. 

I think that is enough for one post! Next week - I will share how I pieced the quilt together. There is no one 'right way,' but I tried a few ways and will talk about those, so that you can chose for yourself which method appeals to you. 

Happy sewing, love Miriamx 

No comments:

Post a Comment