Thursday 17 March 2016

Where it all Began

This is what started it all.  This is the quilt my talented Mum made in 1973. It has just had a wash and airing at my home . Here it is drying on my clothes line.


Mum made it from 1& 1/2  inch hexagons. It is paper pieced and entirely hand stitched. I can remember her painstakingly cutting out the paper templates. Mum was meticulous about the accuracy of those hexagons!  I can also recall my friends'  Mums giving her pieces of left over fabrics from dresses that they  had made their daughters. Even a piece of my old school uniform is in this quilt! Those were the days when our Mums all made our school uniforms. This quilt is really quite the time capsule. It is a treasure trove of 60s and 70s fabrics and childhood memories.









Part of its charm is the fact that the central hexagons have faded over time, from when it used to adorn my bed as a child. Lucky me! And dare I say 43 years on it still is a favourite quilt of mine. Truly a scrappy sensation. 

Who knows, but hopefully some of the quilts we make today for our families will live on for decades too.  The quilts we make do not have to be perfect. They can be scrappy and eclectic as we all know that a quilt is more than the sum of its parts. A quilt is a reflection of our lives and the times we live in. 

So here is to quilts that pass the test of time, no matter how worn and loved they become. I wouldn't want my quilts to grow old any other way! 

Happy sewing, love Miriamx



No comments:

Post a Comment