Thursday 28 July 2016

Back to Front


I have just spent a wonderful few days at the Camyr Allyn Homestead in the Hunter Valley with my very special quilting  friends and the talented Brigitte Giblin as our teacher. How lucky am I! Being masterful multi taskers we admired Brigitte's quilts, we talked ourselves silly, we ate like kings, AND we also managed to do some sewing. Under Brigitte's expert guidance we got down to stitching.

I set myself the task of adapting one my favourite quilts 'Back to Back' from Brigitte's latest book Feathering the Nest 2 , which you can find at Brigitte's website, by clicking here. 

Here are photos of both sides of Brigitte's quilt 'Back to Back' , which is a true celebration of colour, fabric and scrappy happiness. 




I decided to use an eclectic mix of prints based around an Australian print theme for my interpretation  of Brigitte's quilt.


Being me, I tackled what will become the back of my quilt first. Brigitte and I  sorted lots of triangles


And here is the result so far.....


There are two Aboriginal print panels yet to be added to either side of this quilt back so that it will eventually match the front in size. I love where this quilt back is  heading. It has a fresh contemporary feel and I am so happy with it so far. These prints will be used again for the quilt front  along with the addition of more aboriginal prints and jewel toned shot cottons. 

With such beautiful surroundings, I just had to take the quilt outside, fighting against quite a strong breeze...




Much to the amusement of the local wildlife...


There are many more squares and triangles cut ready for stitching for what will become the front of the quilt




Thank you wonderful friends and Brigitte for lifting my spirits and for your inspiration,

Happy sewing, love Miriam 

This week's blogpost has been styled by Louise Flint 



No comments:

Post a Comment